What Causes Overweight And Obesity?
Different factors can play a role in weight gain. These include a lack of exercise (sedentarism), diet, stress, and certain health conditions and medications.
Some of these factors are discussed below.
Obesity develops gradually over time due to:
- comfort eating – if you feel depressed or have low self-esteem, you may eat to make yourself feel better;
- eating large amounts of junk food – that’s high in sugar and unhealthy fats, such as – cakes, cookies, doughnuts, hot dogs, hamburgers, burritos, French fries, onion rings, or fried chicken;
- drinking sugary drinks, such as sodas;
- eating larger portions than you actually need;
- eating out a lot – usually, the food in restaurants can be higher in sodium, sugar, food additives, and fat;
- regular alcohol intake.
Some individuals eat more than usual when they are angry, bored, stressed, or upset. In time, this leads to being overweight or obese.
- diabetes medication;
Having Cushing syndrome (a pituitary gland tumor), an underactive thyroid, and polycystic ovary syndrome can increase your BMI.
Individuals with sedentary lifestyle habits tend to be overweight or obese since they prefer watching mobile phones or TV than doing some type of physical activity. These habits also increase the intake of junk foods.
What Health Problems Are Linked To Obesity & Overweight?
In the US, approximately 113,000 deaths every year are directly related to obesity. Some of the conditions that are caused by excess weight include:
- fatty liver disease;
- type 2 diabetes;
- kidney disease;
- pregnancy problems;
- heart disease;
- sleep apnea;
- certain types of cancer.
Healthy Ways to Lose Weight
Note – even a modest weight loss of 5 to 10 percent of initial weight can bring substantial health benefits by lowering the risks of heart disease or type 2 diabetes mellitus. To lose unnecessary weight, it is recommended to:
#1 Get More Active
While providing various health benefits, regular physical exercise can also help burn off the excess calories you can’t cut through diet alone. To see an overall improvement on health, it is suggested that adults get a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity a week. Racket sports, team sports, running, aerobics classes, swimming, walking, and cycling are all good for you.
#2 Eat A Healthy Breakfast Every Morning
If you skip breakfast, you are likely to eat more calories by binging later in the day.
#3 Limit Fast Food Meals
Try to limit fast food meals to once every seven days or avoid completely since the more fast food you eat, the higher the risk of gaining extra weight you have.
Meditating can help you manage symptoms of illnesses like heart disease, depression, sleep problems, and high blood pressure. In addition, meditation will lower your stress levels, which, in turn, lowers your intake of binge eating.
#5 Eat Regular Meals
Eating at regular times during the day reduces the temptation to snack on foods high in sugar and trans-fats.
#6 Eat Fewer Unhealthy Snacks And Sweets
Cookies, potato chips, chocolate, candy, and cakes often have a lot of fat and sugar and not many nutrients.
Poor sleep is strongly associated with weight gain and a higher body mass index since sleep loss:
- creates inflammation;
- changes the composition of the gut flora;
- reduces insulin sensitivity.
Moreover, the body repairs itself by releasing growth hormones during sleep. Those hormones stimulate lipolysis (a fat breakdown process) as well as protein and muscle synthesis.
Additionally, when you’re tired (due to a lack of sleep), you are not going to have the energy to be physically and mentally active to go for a walk or go to the gym.
Note – according to the National Sleep Foundation, adults are supposed to get about 7-8 hours of sleep per night. It is also important to go to bed at the same time every day, including weekends.
If you still don’t lose sufficient weight with the above methods, there are fat burning supplements which might help you.
Here Is A Comparison Between Two Popular Fat Burning Supplements:
It is a multi-phase release thermogenic supplement that boots fat metabolism and delivers unrelenting energy. The product is available in both powder and pill form. It is made by the company Performix with the headquarters in Denver, CO.
Performix SST is available through GNC, Bodybuilding, or Amazon and is priced at $59.99.
It is a supplement which is manufactured to help with weight loss efforts when combined with exercise and a healthy diet.
Performix SST uses a proprietary blend which consists of natural ingredients, including:
- vitamin B12 supplements – it will help your body with converting proteins and fats into energy;
- mucuna pruriens – it is a tropical legume which may raise dopamine levels, a neurotransmitter that helps control hormonal balance;
- caffeine – the intake of caffeine triggers lipolysis, the breakdown of fats;
- yohimbine – it can lower blood circulation pressure and dilate arteries;
- ashwagandha – it helps the body normalize hormones as well as it reduces anxiety in individuals with anxiety disorders;
- bitter orange.
The active ingredients in Hydroxycut are:
- wild mint extract;
- vitamin B6;
- caffeine anhydrous – it is a caffeine extract without water;
- komijn extract – it can help in weight loss by altering blood glucose levels;
- vitamin B12;
- wild olive extract – it is an antioxidant which may make people feel more energized;
- lady’s mantle extract.
Performix SST functions by using a “Terra smart release system, ” a system that will release essential substances when your body is most receptive.
- Terra Period 1 (0-2 times) “Benefits Stage.”
- Terra Period 2 (2-4 times) “Chill Period.”
- Terra Stage 3 (4-6 times) “Sustain and Stop Period.”
- Terra Stage 4 (6-8 times) “Move Period.”
Hydroxycut works by increasing your metabolism and reducing your appetite.
For adults, the dose is 2 capsules in the morning on an empty stomach.
Note – do not exceed 2 capsules a day.
Start with one pill a day before either breakfast or lunch for the first seven days of use. Then, increase the dose to two caplets two times per day.
Performix SST side effects include:
- dry oral cavity;
- an increase in blood pressure;
- frosty sweats;
- abdominal pain;
Important note – the supplement should be strictly avoided by pregnant or breastfeeding women. Also, it is not safe for individuals suffering from heart diseases.
Hydroxycut side effects include:
It should be avoided by people who are sensitive to caffeine as well as by children, pregnant women (caffeine will elevate your unborn baby’s heart rate) and breastfeeding women.
Bottom Line – Performix SST vs Hydroxycut
Both supplements may help you lose a few pounds by boosting your metabolism, but Hydroxycut is more potent because of the higher caffeine level.